Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Friday, July 26, 2013
good night's sleep at the end of the road.
Sleep Tips for New Mom
- Take friends and family up on their offers of help-without feeling guilty!
- Sleep when baby sleeps, especially with brand new babies that are far too young for routines quite yet
- Prepare for long nights by going to bed an hour earlier and make midnight feedings bearable with treats for you. Make sure you empty that bladder before you retrieve junior. The more comfortable Mom is, the less stress baby will feel and the faster everyone is back to sleep
- Don't over stimulate before bedtime, this might seem obvious but the sooner you start setting baby up for a consistent bed time and start practicing relaxing activities beforehand, the better
- Do Whatever works, don't stress out if baby doesn't follow the exact same sleep patterns described in an article you read. If you over think and analyze everything, you won't have time to enjoy the unique qualities of your baby. *Be sure to check with your doctor if you have medical concerns.
- Motion and soft music, again, whatever works for you and baby, but try to keep it simple. There are so many gadgets out there it is hard to know what will really help calm your baby. An infant swing that rocked and played lullabies and soothing sounds was a savior in our house. Don't ever underestimate the effectiveness of a rocking chair and an off key Rock-a-bye-baby though, chances are your newborn will demand an encore.